Strings Teaching Artist
Instrument Areas: Strings
Program Hours: Part-time, 2:30 to 5:30pm Monday through Thursday with occasional evening and weekend community activities. Hours and days per week will be adjusted according to position.
Program Dates: Aug 20 – Dec 21 and Jan 7 – May 17, 2019
Compensation: Hourly pay rate will be based on education and experience.
Inquiry: Please email your letter of interest, resume, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions will remain open until filled. Teaching auditions/interviews will be scheduled as soon as the above information has been received.
El Sistema Colorado provides underserved youth with exceptional programs in musical arts within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education, and strengthen their communities. El Sistema provides access to exceptional music education in order to promote youth development. Central to El Sistema Colorado’s plan is to build, with community partners, youth orchestras and choirs in underserved communities throughout Denver and Colorado.
Responsible for leading string pedagogy for El Sistema Colorado at one of our partner schools located in the Globeville-Elyria-Swansea neighborhood. He or she will ensure the highest quality string experience for El Sistema Colorado, design curriculum and instruction in collaboration with other El Sistema music faculty and support each student holistically. He or she will support the El Sistema philosophy and methodology and help facilitate community and family involvement.
El Sistema Colorado curriculum will include: full orchestra, smaller ensemble, general musicianship, instrumental instruction, and choir. The instruments and the program are free to all participating students as long as they uphold their contract to take care of the instrument and maintain excellent attendance in El Sistema Colorado.
As an El Sistema faculty member, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with El Sistema Colorado faculty to create a shared curriculum, pedagogy and culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema.
- Teaching strings in sectionals, in brief private lessons, and in the context of orchestra rehearsal.
- String students may be at very different playing levels, so flexibility in teaching approach is crucial to keep all students engaged.
- Occasionally leading orchestra and possibly arranging music (if that is of interest to you).
- Weekly check-in meetings with site lead to discuss lesson plans, behavior intervention strategies, and concert and event planning.
- Preparation and communication with other music teachers, El Sistema Conductor, Program Coordinator, Executive Board, parents and the El Sistema Colorado team
- Demonstrated excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music and the mission of El Sistema Colorado
- Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required; post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of string repertoire and standard music pedagogy and curriculum (Suzuki, etc.); certification preferred
- Experience teaching intermediate level strings
- Experience leading ensembles
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in underserved communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- Ability to work under frequent observation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of El Sistema Colorado to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, age or Veteran Status.