Positions available for Teaching Artists and Teaching Assistants
Instrument Areas: Choral, Strings, Winds
Location: El Sistema Colorado Community Music Center, Curtis Park Neighborhood, 80205
Program Hours: Part-Time between 2-6pm weekdays with occasional evening and weekend community activities. October 2019 – May 2020. Hours and days per week will be adjusted according to position.
Inquiry: Please email your cover letter, resume, three references, and at least one teaching video immediately to email@example.com. Interviews will be scheduled ASAP after materials are received.
El Sistema Colorado provides under-served youth with exceptional programs in musical arts within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education, and strengthen their communities.
Teaching Artists will work closely with and report to the Program Manager in designing engaging and effective curriculum and activities for brass, strings, woodwinds, or choral music. He or she will take on a critical leadership role within the program.
Teaching Assistants will support Teaching Artists, lead instrument specific sectionals, and collaborate with other El Sistema Colorado faculty. He or she will take on a critical supportive role.
Teaching Artists ensure the highest quality choral or instrumental experience for El Sistema Colorado, design curriculum and instruction in collaboration with other El Sistema music faculty and support each child holistically. He or she will support the El Sistema philosophy and methodology and help facilitate community and family involvement.
Each participant will have a rich music curriculum focused on cultivating a caring, cooperative and fun community. The instruments and the program are free to all participating students as long as they uphold their contract to take care of the instrument and maintain excellent attendance in El Sistema Colorado.
As an El Sistema Teaching Artist, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with El Sistema Colorado faculty to create a shared curriculum, pedagogy and culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema
- Teaching group instrumental/choral rehearsals
- Team teaching and assisting with creative ensemble classes
- Supporting a successful, enriching ensemble experience for students through differentiation by student ability-level and interests
- Assisting with full ensemble rehearsals of up to 100 students; playing in the section, collaborating with the conductor
- Maintaining instruments (tuning, repairs, etc.) and preparing lesson plans
- Leading/assisting with evening/weekend programming, concerts, field trips, etc.
- Attending all El Sistema professional development sessions
- Assisting with other aspects of the holistic program (snack, homework, recess, etc.)
- Preparation and communication with other music teachers, El Sistema Lead Teaching Artists, Program Manager, Executive Board, parents, and the El Sistema Colorado team
- Demonstrates excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music and the mission of El Sistema Colorado
- Four-year undergraduate degree, graduate degree or equivalent experience is a plus (but not required for Assistant and Intern positions)
- Strong knowledge of brass, percussion, strings, woodwind, or choral repertoire and standard music pedagogy & curriculum (Suzuki, etc.); certification preferred
- Experience teaching beginning brass, percussion, strings, woodwinds or choir
- Experience leading ensembles and groups of students
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in under-served communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher, and citizen
- Ability to work under frequent observation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus!
- Colorado State Teaching License or Substitute Teacher License also a plus!
El Sistema Colorado is a project of the Colorado Nonprofit Development Center (CNDC) and all employees are CNDC employees. CNDC is dedicated to equal employment opportunities in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. CNDC prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age 40 and over, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by state or local law. This policy applies to all employees.